Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Acceptance of Charitable Service

Well, on Monday I drove down from Oklahoma City back to Houston. For all practical purposes, I made a 450 mile trip so that I could mow the lawn on my house in Houston I haven't been able to sell thus far.

When I got to Houston on Monday afternoon, I wasn't able to mow the lawn because it was pouring outside.

So I was able to get the lawn mowed this evening. After cooling off and getting shower, I went across the street to return to our neighbor their keys we had in case of an emergency.

Well, my neighbor is LDS and he was trying to get me to allow him to mow my lawn so that I don't have to drive all the way and back just to mow. I'm having a hard time accepting his offer of charitable service.

I think it has to do with one or both of two things:

  1. I was always taught that one doesn't get something without an expectation of something in return.  In other words, if he mows my lawn, he'll expect some kind of favor in return
  2. I am somewhat of a micro-manager and I wouldn't trust that it would get done to my satisfaction
This is really bothering me

No comments: