Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Can you truly protect the stupid from themselves: Part II?

I was thinking about the previous post I had written with this title and I was starting to think to myself. In regards to the MySpace controversy, who is really the stupid person to be blamed? I remember when I was in Junior High and High School. I did all kinds of stupid things to try and be popular or maintain what position I had within the "inner circle". MySpace has added a cyber component to what I had to deal with as a youth. Granted, I was still acting stupid, but I had adults (like my parents) telling me I was being stupid. In the case of MySpace, who is really telling these kids what they are doing could have long standing harm? You don't want to be 40, running for office and someone publishes pictures that used to be on your MySpace account of you sucking on a beer bong or smoking a big ole "fatty". Nothing is permanently gone when it's on the internet. Companies make a fortune extracting bits of data that the user thought they had "deleted". As far as I know, most of the warnings are coming from school administrators and advisors. It might as well be an adult from Charlie Brown talking because very few kids hear a word coming out of their mouth.

I've found podcasting awhile back and listing to a bunch of technology based one:

This Week in Tech (TWiT)

What's New Now
Diggnation

The Daily Source Code
KFI Tech Guy (Leo Laporte's Radio Show)


All of these can easily be found with iTunes. They have a lot of stuff that may go over people's heads but they also talk about the things that are quickly becoming trends either good or bad. Maybe the parents who are unaware of the dangers are the ones that need more education. I work in the IT Industry and know how hard it is to stay on top of things but I think the computer and internet was viewed by many adults as being as innocuous as the Television Set. But I view it to be far more dangerous. You wouldn't just hand your kid a gun and tell them to "have at it" without some serious instruction about the safe handling of a firearm and even then you may not let them handle the firearm without supervision.

No comments: