Sunday, July 09, 2006

Avast ye mateys, thar be cliffhangers ahead!

Well Nancy and I went to the movies Saturday and took a thrilling ride into the world envisioned by those powerhouses of Walt Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer. Once again we followed the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow and his prescious ship The Black Pearl.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest picks up shortly after the completion of the first movie. Once again Captain Jack has managed to get himself into alot of trouble and sucks all those around him into the depth with him.

I must warn you that this movie has more double crosses than a case of Dos Equis. Granted this isn't a "thinking movie". It is definitely a Jerry Bruckheimer film. If you liked the first movie you'll definitely enjoy this one.

I don't want to give anything away since I feel not knowing anything helps heighten the enjoyment of this flick.

Keep an eye out for the subtle and not-so-subtle nods to the Disney attraction that inspired this successful movie franchise.

As my title suggests, this movie ends with a cliffhanger. Much like the Lord of the Rings movies, this movie is intended to be told over more than one film. So there is obviously going to be ongoing adventures of this merry band of pirates and I cannot wait till next summer to find out how things end up.

The soundtrack is also excellent. I bought the first soundtrack and it quickly became part of my morning routine. It's lively beats and thundering tones always got me ready to take on the day. I bought the new soundtrack today and Nancy has already stated that is definitely different but along the same lines as the first one. I'm sure I'll be expanding my morning repetoir of music to amp up the brain.

So if you decide to go see this movie, sit back and enjoy the ride. But make sure you keep an eye and firm grip on your rum :) And never forget that "Dead men tell no tales"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bah! I realize that Disney is trying to fish themselves out of the deep deep dark hole of debt they have created for themselves and the powers that be in the board room are energetically jacking each others wallets off with the run away success of the Pirates franchise but the movies really do nothing for me. I've always liked the genre as a whole, but my concept of pirates is much more gritty and mean than the whacky mad cap adventures of an eternal screw up with a tolerant adventure seeking support group. Most importantly i really really really hate Johnny Depp as an actor every movie he has been in save one (Once Upon A Time In Mexico) has been nothing more than a mental beating. I detest the way JD over acts and takes what could be a great character and just screws it all up. I realize he is lauded for his whacky persona and keen novel approach, but i swore after watching Secret Window that my brain just couldn't take another skewering by his jip-lipped claptrap. As a person *shrug* i'm sure he gets the bills paid with his career, even if he denounced his citizenship, dresses like homeless person and smugly barfs out his pithy interviews for his movies, i guess i can't sweat him out for that. He is most probably a good guy in his off hours and hometime, i would wager that the public persona he wears for the camera gives him a good laugh behind closed doors. As far as pirates go I'd take Treasure Island or its contemporary Treasure Planet over this franchise any day.

~END OF LINE~
typos and grammar errors provided free of charge