Monday, July 10, 2006

Lactic Acid Buildup

I must thank my friend Wally (not his real name). He has gotten me back into the gym. It's the perfect partnership. Both of us want to work out, but we can always manage to come up with some reason to not go. So we help each other get our butts over there.

The little gym I was a member of got bought out by a chain called L.A. Fitness. They finished building their new facility in June and I must say color me impressed. I have been a member of alot of gyms and gone to quite a few 24 Hour Fitness locations and I haven't seen a gym yet that compares to this one for variety of machines, free-weights and abundance of cardio machines (treadmills, eliptical trainers, stair steppers, recumbant bikes, etc).

I have been a fair-weather friend of the gym for about 4 years now and haven't really been at all since I had my ulnar nerve transposition surgery in April 2005. So I decided to go extremely light in order to prevent the dreaded lactic acid buildup and resultant pain. Unfortunately, I wasn't too successful in that endeavor.

I was fine until we worked our biceps and triceps. Since my surgery was on my elbow and involved the disconnection of my bicep and reattachment after the nerve we moved beneath it, I expected that biceps would be difficult. I also was more cautious to exercise with good form. I guess I did too good of a job, because my biceps hurt!

Needless to say, I am excited to be back in the gym. Like my wife keeps telling me, you cannot complain about things you don't like if you aren't willing to do anything to try and change it. Well, I've been complaining about my ever-expanding waistline and how much I miss my much leaner frame of a few years ago. Now I hope I can rebuild the habit.

1 comment:

mist1 said...

I am lactose intollerant. That's why I don't work out.