Thursday, July 20, 2006

What a pleasant surprise

There was a very loud knock on the door which got Belle and Coco barking because an unfamiliar noise can not be heard unbarked.

So I walk to the door and peek through the window beside the door to see who it is. We have solar screens installed which allows me to see out but the people cannot see in (as long as it is brighter on their side than mine so one must be careful about walking nude with the lights on at night if you don't shut the blinds). What I saw was two middle-aged women and a girl that looked about 5-6 years old. I originally wasn't going to answer because I didn't recognize them, but I thought that it might be Nancy's new visiting teachers. Despite the fact that we haven't attended an LDS church in 2 years they still come by to visit her. I know how difficult it must be to come to a house where your message must be not so willingly received so I answered the door.

As soon as I answered the door I heard, "I'd like to give you a message...blah, blah, blah) and I caught in small print on a glossy stack of flier in the lady's hand JW and Jehovah. Great. The Jehovah's Witnesses.

My last encounter with a JW standing in my doorway involved a heated discussion that mainly involved my trying to get them to leave and they wouldn't go. This time, all I had to do was listen to their invitation to some conference they were holding, accept their flyer and wave as they walk away. They did try to use the current situation between Israel and Lebanon as a selling point to convince me the Second Coming is near.

At least this time I knew better to keep my mouth shut. If I had said something like, "If I couldn't accept the LDS what makes you think I'll like your church?" I'm sure I would've never gotten rid of them.

2 comments:

mist1 said...

This door-to-door thing can't be working for them. I don't know anyone who likes this practice.

The JWs should keep up with technology and just send spam.

mist1 said...

"...an unfamiliar noise can not be heard unbarked."

I had to come back to tell you how much I love this line.